Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Ode to the First Born

In light of my last post, I wrote an ode.  If you aren't an English nerd, you probably don't know what an ode is, but I can clarify for you.  An ode is a lyrical poem with complex stanza forms.  As I'm sure you all know, "Melissa" and "Complex" don't usually show up in the same sentence.  I'm not so sure about the complexity of my ode, but I had fun writing it anyway.

You poor, poor being
How you were thrown
Into the arms of the unknown
Her first born, your mother was seeing

So small, so wet, so precious
Not knowing what to do
Everything was so new
She took you in her arms with a promise

No harm will succumb to her first little son
No dirt will he know
Not even on his toe
I won't take a chance with one toxin

True to her word
Much to your chagrin
Again and again
She washed and she wiped Northward and Southward

No comments:

Post a Comment